Testing Center THEA Internet-Based Test
The Texas Higher Education Assessment® Internet-Based Test (THEA IBT) is a four-hour, computer administered exam accepted by the College of Education for entrance into the Teacher Certification program. The THEA IBT consists of three sections:
- The Reading section consists of approximately 40 multiple-choice questions matched to about seven reading selections of 300-750 words each.
- The Writing section consists of a multiple-choice subsection and a writing sample. The multiple-choice subsection includes approximately 40 questions assessing students’ ability to recognize various elements of effective writing. In the writing sample, students will be asked to write a 300-600 word essay on an assigned topic. The essay must be 1,000 words or less.
- The Math section consists of approximately 50 multiple-choice questions covering four general areas: fundamental mathematics, algebra, geometry, and problem solving. Students will have access to an online four-function calculator for their use. No other calculators are permitted.
THEA IBT at the Testing Center
The THEA IBT will be used for Teacher Education Program entrance only. It is not an accepted TSI Assessment exam.
For more information, download the Testing Center’s THEA IBT Quick Guide (pdf).
Visit the THEA Practice Test website for test details and practice questions.
You must be registered 24 hours before the test date. You may take 1-3 sections of the test in any order that you choose; however, you cannot start another section of the THEA IBT until you have finished the previous section.
You are responsible for paying the following fees before exam day:
- $20 non-refundable administration fee payable to UT Dallas.
- $29 non-refundable exam fee payable to THEA.
How To Register
- Visit UTD Marketplace to pay your $20 non-refundable administration fee for the test.
- Once the payment is complete, sign up for a test date with the Testing Center.
- Go to the THEA Registration Checklist to set up your THEA IBT account, pay the $29 non-refundable testing fee and purchase your THEA IBT.
The THEA registration platform will allow you to purchase a THEA IBT, manage your personal information prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select your score recipient institution and purchase study materials.
Make note of your email and password for the THEA account you create. You will need them when you arrive at the Testing Center on test day.
The THEA IBT can be scheduled at the Testing Center on Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Last tests for the day are given at 1 p.m. You are allowed four hours for the entire test.
Report to the Testing Center at SP2 11.175 at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the test. Arriving any later may forfeit your registration.
- You must have your THEA account login information to be able to take the test.
- You are allowed four hours for the entire test. This includes reading the directions and the writing portion of the test.
- Lockers are available near the testing location to store your personal items while testing.
You must bring two forms of current personal identification (1 photo + 1 photo/non-photo) with the name in which you registered to be admitted to the exam.
Acceptable forms of photo ID:
- UT Dallas student ID (Comet Card)
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid state ID
- Valid passport
- Military ID card
- Current alien registration card (Green Card)
- Department of Public Safety card
Acceptable forms of non-photo ID:
- Pay stub
- Social Security card
- Insurance card
- Valid credit/debit card
Examinees who require extended time on the THEA IBT must first register for the test at thea.starttest.com.
After registering, contact Evaluation Systems at 866-565-4879 between 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. (CT), Monday-Friday to discuss alternative testing arrangements.
Final scores are posted approximately two business days after you take the THEA IBT. In most cases, your score report will be available once your writing sample is scored, which may take up to 10 minutes. You may access your score report online by logging into your account at thea.starttest.com.
Passing THEA IBT scores for students seeking teacher certification:
- Reading: 260
- Writing: 240
- Math: 240
Modify or Cancel a Test Appointment
If you wish to change or modify a test appointment, you must do so at least 24 hours in advance. Reserve your seat online with your new appointment time.
Your test payment will be unaffected as long as you modify your appointment 24 hours before your test date. If you cancel your appointment, you will need to repay the test fee.
You may not retake the THEA IBT within 14 days of another test administration. You may register and pay for a test during the 14 days, but you may not attempt a retake test until after the 14-day waiting period has ended on the 15th day.