Testing Center Student Guidelines
Prior to Exam Date
3020 Synergy Park North, SP2, Suite 11.175
Richardson, TX 75080
Tel: 972-883-2460, 972-883-5497
Parking/Testing Center Entrance
Additional parking and a main entrance are at the back of the building. Faculty and students should park at the back of the building as there is limited parking space at the front of the building. Follow the signage and enter the Testing Center through the back of the building. If you are needing a visitor parking pass, please give yourself plenty of time to get a visitor parking pass and find a parking spot. For more information, go to utdallas.edu/services/transit/park/#visitor
Exam Appointment/Reserve Your Seat
Check your syllabus or your instructor will tell you what dates are available for you to take your exams. You must reserve your seat online before taking an exam in the Testing Center.
IMPORTANT: Cutoff time for making an appointment to take your exam is 72 hours prior to the exam date. Students MUST reserve their seat for testing at least 72 hours prior to the exam date.
Registration will close after the 72-hour cutoff time. Students will NOT be able to register or make changes to their appointment less than 72 hours of exam closing date. Students walk-in without an appointment when the center is full, will be referred back to their instructor for rescheduling for make-ups. Please note: Appointment times/seats fill up quickly. So please reserve your seat early in advance:
Step 1: Log into the Testing Center homepage
Step 2: Click on “Reserve Your Seat” at the top right corner
Step 3: Crete an account/Login to your RegisterBlast account
Step 4: Select your exam
Step 5: Complete your registration/sign up for your seat
Check-in is done in the Testing Center entrance room (SP2 11.175). Make sure you have scheduled your test appointment prior to check-in – you will not be admitted without an appointment. We recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes early to allow time for check-in. You will not be allowed to test if you arrive later than 30 minutes after your appointment start time, and a seat is unavailable to accommodate your full testing time within your professor's approved window. If you are not permitted to test due to your late arrival, you will need to reschedule or get with your professor directly to discuss other testing options.
Your Comet ID Card is the official UT Dallas student ID. It will be the ONLY form of ID accepted by the UTD Testing Center. NO other forms of ID will be accepted. You will be DENIED access without a phyiscal Comet ID Card. If you do not have a Comet ID Card, you must obtain one prior to your exam. Please visit the Comet Card Office at Student Services Addtion (2nd floor), Room SSA12.324.
Closing times are strictly enforced. Please plan ahead and allow enough time to complete your exam. Students testing when the center’s doors are locked may continue working on that test until closing time. All exams will be collected 15 minutes prior to the scheduled closing time. If you do not complete by closing time, your exam will be picked up and considered completed.
Students are NOT allowed to check-in if their exam duration allotted time (professor’s instructions) exceeds Testing Center closing hours. For example: If the exam duration allotted time provided by the professor is 2.5 hours and the student arrives 1 hour prior to the Testing Center closing, he/she will not be able to take the exam and will need to reschedule.
Items Not Allowed
Personal items are not allowed in the Testing Center. Digital lockers are available free of charge to secure your personal items before check-in. Items that are not allowed inside the Testing Room include, but are not limited to:
- Backpacks, bags, purses, wallets, bracelets, wrist-bands, keys, calculator covers, all watches (including digital, analog, smart watches and Fitbits)
- Candy, chewing gum, tobacco products, Vapor or E-cigarette, food or beverages of any kind, including water bottles
- Outer coats, jackets, hoodies, scarves, hats, beanies, gloves, sunglasses
- Electronic devices: any phones, pagers, iPads, laptops, cameras, recording/listening/scanning or photographic devices etc.)
- No shirts, no shoes, no service
* If you are wearing an item that should not be removed for cultural or religious purposes (such as a hijab, turban, Kara, etc.) please inform the staff upon check-in.
Our Testing Services allows a large variety of calculators, but bans a few calculators outright, these include:
- Laptops or other computers, tablets, cell phones, or smart phones
- Smartwatches or wearable technology of any kind
- Models that can access the internet, have wireless, Bluetooth, cellular, audio/video recording and playing, camera, or any other smart phone type feature (e.g. touch screen)
- Power cords or other cables
- Models that use electrical outlets, make noise, or print
- Sleeves, covers, cases, jackets or any other attachment
- Models with dedicated letters or keyboards, pen-input, or stylus
- Calculators with X, Y, and Z keys for quick variables are fine.
- All TI-Nspire calculators
- These are only permitted with approval directly from the professor to the Testing Center in their exam request form.
Proctors in the testing center will monitor you during your exam. The testing environment and its computers are also electronically monitored and recorded to include real-time video and screen captures. Proctors watch from a seated position in the room, walk through the room and view a computer screen showing a video feed from the cameras inside the testing room.
All incidents of academic dishonesty and suspected violations will be documented. The proctor will report the incident to the Testing Center personnel and will write an incident report, which will be submitted to the faculty member providing the exam and the Dean of Students Office for appropriate course action.
Examples of academic dishonesty or misconduct:
- Giving or receiving unauthorized assistance of any kind.
- Using any aids (books, notes, calculators, computers, websites, etc.) not authorized by the instructor.
- Attempting to take an exam for someone else.
- Failing to follow exam regulations or instructions of the staff.
- Causing a disturbance of any kind.
- Removing or attempting to remove questions and/or responses or notes (in any format) from the Testing Center.
- Attempting to remove scratch paper from the Testing Center.
- Tampering with the operation of the computer or attempting to use it for any function other than taking the exam.
- Sharing a calculator with other examinees.
- Sharing notes with other examinees.
- Talking with other examinees during an exam.
Hours of operation are subject to change with regards to holidays, community events and inclement weather. Please check the Testing Center homepage for the latest closure updates prior to making your appointment and coming to the center.
If the campus is closed due to inclement weather or an unexpected event, appointments during that time will automatically be canceled.
Other Tips and Guidelines
- If you are taking an exam outside of the allowed exam time window, it is your responsibility to get an approval from your instructor. The Testing Center must be notified prior to the exam date so that seating can be arranged.
- Respect others by remaining quiet during your exam.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- If you have questions or concerns about the test environment, please quietly notify the proctor.
- You may not converse in the Testing Center. Engage conversation only with the proctors.
- Once you have started an exam, you should remain seated until your exam is completed.
- Digital clocks are clearly visible in the Testing Center. Students are responsible for tracking their own time while testing.
- Passwords for computer-based exams are not given out at any time for any reason. You should remain seated and the proctor will put in the password to launch the exam for you.
- When you have finished your test, follow your instructor’s directions for submitting online or bring paper/pencil tests to the proctor.
- All notes, cheat-sheets and formula sheets used during your exam will be collected by the proctor before leaving the room. You cannot take them with you.