TurningPoint Desktop - Faculty Resources
The UT Dallas eLearning team provides on-campus training and support services for faculty on TurningPoint Desktop. This includes initial setup, training, classroom demos and troubleshooting.
First semester of use
Step 1: Sign Up (first time users only)
Faculty using TurningPoint Desktop for the first time must sign up with UT Dallas eLearning. Please use the form below:
We will schedule a meeting to complete your setup process, which includes: Downloading the Software, Providing an Instructor Kit - handbook, wireless receiver, RFLCD clicker and presenter card, Creating your Turning Instructor Account, Importing your class roster into TurningPoint Desktop, Training you on using the software in class and Q & A.
If you would like to try the setup yourself, here are the instructions.
Every semester of use
Step 2: Update your syllabus
Update your syllabus to include the TurningPoint Desktop requirement, to help students prepare for the course. Here are some suggested wordings. We recommend putting it alongside Textbook Information.
Step 3: Inform the UTD Bookstore
Inform the Bookstore that your course requires the use of TurningPoint Desktop, so that they can stock the Turning Licenses and RFLCD Clickers for your students. For any questions, email the UTD Bookstore.
Step 4: Provide Instructions to Students on Turning Registration
Add the Turning Registration Link to your course menu, within eLearning. Here's how.
When class starts, provide instructions to your students on creating their Turning Accounts, linking their account to your course, and associating their polling devices to their account. Here are the instructions.
We strongly recommend taking students through the Turning Registration process in class, instead of having them do it on their own. Our pilot experience showed that a face-to-face session helped students better identify what they were missing.
Step 5: Use TurningPoint Desktop in Class
Once steps 1 through 4 are complete, you can start using Turning Point Polling in class.
User Guides and Tutorials for Faculty
- Getting Started with Turning Point Desktop (PDF)
- Creating a Turning Instructor Account (Video)
- User Guides - For MAC (PDF) | For PC (PDF)
- How to Sync your roster with TurningPoint Desktop - Handout (PDF)
- How to Update your participant list and export results to eLearning
- How to Import Grades from a Polling Session into eLearning (PDF)
- Suggested Syllabus wording (PDF)
- Student Instructions: Turning Registration (PDF)
- Student Instructions: Polling with Responseware (Mobile Devices) (PDF)
- Student Instructions: Polling with RFLCD Clickers (PDF)